I do. I love a good burger or a juicy bratwurst. I also love steak, and that's what this is all about, steak. I was in San Dimas California last week, home of Bill and Ted and their most excellent adventure, and one night I was asked where I wanted to go for dinner. I knew all the chain restaurants that I'd passed, but I wanted to try something I couldn't find off any freeway exit, so I turned to my answer for all: Google. In my search I found an entire website devoted to San Dimas Restaurants and when my thought of sushi was shot down the name Pinnacle Peak caught my eye. I took a look at the website and off we went, or we tried that is. At 6:45 PM on a Thursday the place had a line out the door! I had to be at work at 8, so we decided to something faster and try again the next day. We opted for an early start on Friday and got there before they opened at ten till 5. Would you believe they already had a line of people waiting to get in and more sitting in their cars?? They have a big window in front that looks right into the kitchen so we got to watch the guy working over the open fire grill. Once we got in the place was super fun. A big sign by the hostess stand says "STOP NO TIES ALLOWED." And they mean that too. If you come in wearing a necktie they will literally cut it off of you and hang it from the ceiling with your business card. The ceiling and walls were lined with them. The rest of the place was all cowboys and Indians and old western movie stars portraits hanging on the walls. The menu was on a paper bag that doubles as a carry out container.


Oh my! I almost forgot to tell you about the food! Well, I got the rib and steak combo. Lesson learned: don't order ribs at a steak place. They were OK, a little on the dry side for me, but they had a real nice flavor. The salad was generic iceberg mix from a bag. The bread was fresh, but the butter was cold. The beans had a real nice smoke taste, but I just wasn't in the mood. The steak? OH! Cooked to perfection, like the cook was reading my mind! No extra flavor or spice, just pure smokey meat that melted in your mouth and left you wanting more. I can't remember the last time I had a steak that good. Maybe never. I couldn't eat it all, so I cut it up into strips and took it back to the hotel. When I got hungry a few hours later I reheated it and it was just as good. I could even cut it with a plastic knife. I was like butter. Are you as hungry as I am now?
No comments:
Post a Comment