Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Rent

I love the musical Rent. I went to see it six years ago with my two best friends from college, Heather and Eric. It was the night before a big mid-term, and I tried to study in the car on the way to Columbus, but it got dark and I couldn't read my flash cards anymore. I didn't care. We were at Rent! All three of us fell in love with the show...We bought sound tracks, we learned the whole history of the musical and Jonathan Larson. We had the whole show memorized. I told my whole family about my love of this new musical and had my dad convinced he had to see it live. He went a few months later on a whim...He tried to get me to drive up and see it with him, and I almost did, but I couldn't miss an early morning class...He was glad I couldn't come, he would have been embarrassed.
Needless to say, I flipped when I found out they were making a movie of my favorite musical. I played my sound track non-stop for a week before the movie came out. I waited to see it for a little bit. I was worried that they would make my favorite musical into something cheesy and mainstream, and ruin everything that it stood for...But they didn't. I was fabulous! It was everything I hoped it would be and more. To anyone who hasn't seen it yet, go. Laugh, cry, love, hate-live for "no day but today."

p.s. I flunked that mid-term 6 years ago-but it was worth it!!

No comments: