Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Eating alone 101

Something I never considered before taking this job was eating in a restaurant alone. I always felt sorry for people sitting by themselves in crowded places, but now I count myself among them. It was completely unavoidable, unless I wanted to eat all my meals out of take-out containers in my hotel room. The key to a successful restaurant meal alone is to keep yourself occupied. I try and bring something to read. That has been a little awkward the last week or so since I've been reading the giant hardback Barbara Walters memoir but I did it a few times anyway. If I don't have anything to read (or I just don't feel like it) I've been known to bring my laptop along for the wait before the food comes or I play with my cell phone to pass the time.
Tonight I didn't do any of that. I didn't think walking the streets of Toronto at night with my Barbara Walters book tucked in my giant red Prada purse was a good idea and I don't dare have my phone turned on up here with roaming charges being what they are. So, tonight I did my most favorite activity. People watching. I walked a block and a half to the Greek Islands Restaurant and had them seat me towards the back. This town is so much fun. This past weekend was pride weekend and today was Canada Day so the tourists and freaks were still out in full force. Seated to my left was what looked like a nice young couple...then I noticed he was carrying a purse. OK, maybe it was a male bag, but it looked like a purse. Then they got up to leave and I saw what he was wearing. Tight, polyester, black and white checkered pants and an orange shirt with giant marijuana leaves printed on it. It was great, I wish I'd brought my camera. Then there was a young man (or an unfortunate woman) who had a bad sunburn on his/her face. He/she seemed to use a lot of napkins yet licked his fingers and hands constantly. When they brought a new basket of bread and he touched every piece in the basket twice before taking one. All in all a fun night. Off to work.

No comments: