Friday, March 21, 2008

My crazy life...

Well, my life is far from normal. No matter where I go strange and interesting things happen to me. Since my last post from Savannah I've had some excitement.

On Saturday night we had some pretty big storms come through. Around 10:30 PM the power went out in the hotel. Knowing the women at the desk was alone and inexperienced I went down to see if I could help. Jodi had the same thought. They had a high school marching band that was staying in the hotel and being open less then a week weren't prepared for such an event. After the first hour and a half the emergency lights started to go out. No flashlights to be found. We called the hotel next door and they had flashlights but no batteries so we borrowed 2 and took batteries out of the bathroom air fresheners. At one point the tornado sirens went off and we had to bring all the kids down to the first floor to take cover. In the end everything was OK and I ended up going to bed around 3 AM. The power was out for more then 8 hours though.

Sunday afternoon I went up to my room to drop off my computer before heading out to eat. The elevator dined on the third floor but the doors didn't open. I hit the floor button again. Nothing. I pressed the door open button. Nothing. I tried to select all the other floors. Not even a light came on. I pressed the call button and this is the conversation that followed.
Desk: "Thank you for calling the Wingate Inn Savannah Airport. This is Marlena, how can I help you?"
ME: "Marlena. It's Layli. I'm Stuck in the elevator."
Desk: "Oh my. You're in the elevator? OK, she's (the manager) coming to get you out. Are you OK? Do you want me to stay on the phone?"
ME: "No. I'm OK. Thanks."
Less than a minute later the doors opened. I assumed that she had gotten the key and done something. Turns out she was on the phone trying to find out what had happened to the elevator key, it was missing. They were about to call 911 when I walked down the stairs and through the lobby.

Monday evening we went to the FedEx by the airport. We walked in and Jodi was filling out the form when the fire alarm went off. Half the staff were meandering out the door-but no one seemed in a hurry. We just moved the car away from the building so she could finish filling out the slip and drop it in the box. Just as were about to pull out of the parking lot 2 fire trucks come up. One pulled into each side of the drive blocking the entire parking lot! I don't think there was a fire, but we were stuck for over half an hour in that parking lot!

I get home late on Saturday. Fly out again on Monday to Chicago. No return flight yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL...sorry have to laugh. I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time! What a trip! Glad to hear that you are alive and well!
Heather

Juliet said...

I would have totally freaked out in that elevator! G;ad you are okay. *hugs*

You'll be pretty far from Chicago, according to Dave. In the boonies.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an experience! Good thing you were there. Can you only imagine if you were that girl and no one was there to help you? You rock!

Lisa