Sunday, April 20, 2008

Home-not just where you hang your hat.

I got back from Arizona yesterday. I have to say, I love my apartment. I love that I can come back after weeks on the road and have my own place to go and get away from everyone. I miss my family and friends when I'm away, don't get me wrong, but I miss my bed and my bathroom and my big comfy chair just as much. Hotels are cookie cutter, they are impersonal no matter how hard they try to be otherwise. I don't like institutional couches and chairs. I refuse to walk barefoot in any hotel because you never know whats been on the floor and when it last got a good cleaning. I hate to get my room cleaned because the maid is always rearranging my stuff, so I leave my do not disturb sign up till I need my trash emptied or want clean sheets and towels.

I've been debating the last month or so whether or not I should give up my apartment. Lots of people I work with live with parents or adult children when they aren't on the road. At this point I can't see myself living with either of my parents again, not because I don't get along with them, I just like my personal space and I can't see getting that if I moved back in with them. I thought about getting a roommate, but I have a one bedroom apartment right now and don't really have any friends looking for a roommate at the time. The idea of moving in with a complete stranger doesn't appeal to me. How could I trust to leave my things with a stranger while I travel the country for weeks at a time? I still have a few months till my lease is up, right now I'm leaning towards the idea of keeping the place, but I'm still going back and forth.

I'm going back to Arizona in just over a week to do support in Yuma. Hopefully I'll get some work before that though.

US Air miles earned 3,342
Priority Club 28,659 pts

2 comments:

Juliet said...

Financially, it makes sense to give up your apartment. But I know what you mean about privacy. Ypu'll make the right decision for you. Just pray on it.

edenwoman said...

I enjoy your posts.
You have a good way of thinking things out!